Florida EPHT home page
like us on Facebook
view us on You Tube

Home >> Drinking Water

Drinking Water



Safe, clean drinking water is essential to life. In Florida, about 80% of state residents are provided with drinking water by public water systems. Public water systems are regulated by the Federal and State Safe Drinking Water Acts. The other 20% of Florida’s population receives drinking water from private wells. If your water is provided by a public water system, the state of Florida and the US EPA monitor levels of pollutants in your drinking water system. However, there are no laws in Florida that require routine testing of private wells (this is the responsibility of the homeowner). Some of the chemicals that are monitored in public water systems include arsenic, disinfection byproducts (or DBP’s), nitrates and lead. All public water systems in Florida are required to perform routine testing to ensure that they meet state drinking water standards. If a public water system has a chemical violation, it is required to be reported to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. And, a plan must be developed to correct the violation and provide safe drinking water to the population served. The indicators below show historical data for selected contaminants in public drinking water systems.



Select Indicator Data:



Health Indicator

FAQ
Why are Florida and the CDC tracking drinking water quality?

Why should I be concerned about my drinking water?

What are some of the health risk associated with drinking contaminated water?

more...

Links to other websites:


Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Water Programs

Environmental Protection Agency, Ground and Drinking Water

Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Lead

Agency of Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Arsenic

 

  •     •  

National EPHT program
Florida Department of Health
Tracking grantees
The official portal of the state of Florida
©2008-2014, Florida Department of Health
*This web portal was supported by Cooperative Agreement Number 5U38EH000941 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors (FL Tracking Team) and do not necessarily represent the official views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.